AGM at the Louisbourg National Historic Site

AGM at the Louisbourg National Historic Site – June 19, 2013

This year we have something special to accompany our short Council of 3M National Teaching Fellows Annual General Meeting at the STLHE 2013 meeting in Cape Breton – A visit to the Parks Canada Historic site of Louisbourg. The AGM will be held at the McLennan Centre at the park. After the AGM we will be given a short guided tour of the fort taking a step back into the 1700s and to catch a glimpse of New France and how the French and English crowns fought for control of the New World, and all of Nova Scotia was a battleground.

AGM materials (will be available shortly):

Timeline: The following schedule is still tentative.

  • 12:00 noon – Bus leaves for Louibourg (location to be announced
  • 12:30 p.m. – Approximate arrival at Louisbourg
  • 12:45 p.m. – Annual General Meeting (McLennan Centre)
  • 1:00 p.m. – A one hour guided tour of the site, followed by a presentation by a senior archaeologist on “The Saint-Marie 43”
  • 2:45 p.m. – Free time to tour the site
  • 4:45 p.m. – Gather to return (McLennan Centre)
  • 5:00 p.m. – Bus departs from Louisbourg

Cost: $20.00 per person. Use this link to register.

Transportaion: ****FREE**** due to a generous donation from the Saint Mary’s University, Faculty or Arts celebrating Shelagh Crooks, one of this years new 3M Fellows. Details on where to catch the bus will be provided once plans have been finalized.


A little more about Louisbourg:louisbourg_11

The Fortress of Louisbourg is the largest reconstruction project in North America. The original settlement was founded in 1713 by the French and called Havre à l’Anglois. Over several decades it developed into a thriving center for fishing and trade and by the 1740s Louisbourg was one of the largest European fortifications in North America. Fortified against the threat of British invasion during the turbulent time of empire-building. Louisbourg had two flaws. Its design was directed to the sea and land defenses were weak. The second was the climate, the salt air eroded the motor that held the defensive walls together. Attacking from land the British captured the fort in 1758 and raised all the building and they remained as rubble untouched until well into 20th century. In the 1960s, archaeologists began to reconstruct the fortress returning it to its18th century appearance. Today a quarter of the original fortress and town are restored by a program that provided work to unemployed coal miners in the Sydney Cape Breton region.

Some Louisbourg links you might find interesting: